The best thing about taking part in Steptember is that it not only raises money for a great cause but also has many health benefits. It’s recommended you do 150 minutes of exercise a week, and by taking part in this challenge, you will easily achieve this.
This section aims to provide you with tips to help you along the way, alternative activities that can count as steps and a nutrition guide. You can use these to get the most out of Steptember and come out of it feeling like a better and healthier you.
Benefits of Exercise
1. Gain muscle!
2. Prevention of illness – those who exercise regularly are up to 83% less likely to suffer from osteoarthritis and have up to a 50% lower risk of type 2 diabetes.
3. Mental health – those who exercise regularly are up to 30% less likely to suffer from depression.
4. Improved sleep – exercise can reduce tension and allow for a longer and better quality sleep.
5. Self-confidence – reaching your goals improves self esteem.
6. Social benefits – all forms of exercise have opportunities to be sociable.
7. Improved mood and energy levels – exercise has been shown to reduce stress.
8. It’s fun! There are so many different forms of exercise to choose from, there is sure to be one that you enjoy.
We all know eating well is important but sometimes we need to go one step further. Here are some easy tips for a healthier lifestyle:
- Don’t skip breakfast
- Drink lots of water
- Base your meals on starchy foods
- Eat lots of fruit and veg
Step Into Sport
- Grab a mate and head to the park.
- Boccia is easy to learn but full of strategy.
- Splash into the pool and swim a few lengths.
- Tango the night away with a dance class.
- Hit the gym and workout to your favourite pop songs.
- Wheelchair rugby for those who enjoy the fast and furious.
- Gardening (time to plant some flowers!)
- Relax your mind and body with Tai Chi.
Keep Safe And Stay Healthy
Make sure you wear comfortable clothing and footwear.
- Keep hydrated. The recommended intake of water is between 8-10 glasses a day. Are you drinking that?
- Make sure you get enough sleep. Most of us need 8 hours.
- Eat a balanced diet, ensuring you get all the nutrients you need.
The Steptember challenge is meant to be tough but fun. Take care of yourself!